MODALS
1.CAN
A) CAN =
ABILITY
a.Can
you drive?
b.He
cannot afford it.
c.She
can speak four languages.
d.He can run fast.
e.Can you play the guitar?
f.My brother can fix any electronic device.
a.I can't type very fast.
b.He can't lift 100 kilos.
c.She cannot drive a car.
d.He can't ride a horse.
B) CAN = PERMISSION(to be allowed to)
a.You
can park over there.
b.You
can have a piece of cake after dinner.
c.You
can use the phone if you want to.
d.You can take the car,if you want.
e.You can leave.
a.Can I use your cellphone?
b.Can I go out?
c.Can I smoke here?
d.Can I eat icecream?
C) CAN =
REQUEST
a.Can I
close the window?
b.Can you tell me the way to the museum?
c.Can you come here for a minute please?
d.Can you please pass the salt?
e.Can you pick up some groceries on your way home?
f.Can you kindly stop making noise?
g.Where can I get a taxi?
h.Where can I buy snacks?
i.How can I contact you?
D) CAN = POSSIBILTY
a.Smoking
can cause cancer.
b.You can easily get lost in this town.
c.My friend can visit me this week.
d.They can visit us next weekend.
a.Can I
help you with those bags?
b.We can
have another drink if you like.
c.Can I
help you?
d.Can
you please help?
e.We can eat in a restaurant,if you like.
F) CAN =
used with “SEE”,
“HEAR”,”TASTE”,”SMELL”,”FEEL” and verbs connected with “THINKING”.
a.I can
see their car.
b.Can
you smell something burning?
c.I
can’t understand why you are so upset?
d.He
can’t remember where he put the tickets?
e.I can't hear you.
G) CAN =
NOT TRUE (in negatives)
a.This
can’t be the right road.
b.That can't be Anu- she's in Japan.
H) CAN =
SHOULD NOT (in negatives)
a.You
cannot expect the world to change overnight.
b.I can't promise anything.
c.We can't wear jeans at work.
d.You can't smoke in this building.
e.You can't wear that dress.
Comments
Post a Comment