ADVERBS

 

ADVERBS


1.Equally(adv)= In equal amounts ;in the same or equal manner .

a.She looked equally nice in both dresses.

b.The two documents are equally important.

c..Share the cake equally.


2.Slightly(adv)= To a small degree;not very much;only a liitle.

a.She is slightly taller than her sister.

b.I feel slightly better today.

c.She is limping slightly.

d.The children argued because one slice of cake was slightly larger than the other.

e.I was slightly surprised.



3.Totally (adv)=completely ; to a total or complete degree.

a.I totally forgot.

b.She had totally forgotten about the appointment.

c.Jack’s behaviour is totally unacceptable.

d.She totally ignored us.

e.totally forgot.

COLLOCATES of totally

a.totally understandable

b.totally acceptable/totally unacceptable

c.totally safe

d.totally unsafe

e.totally unfair

f.totally unexpected

g.totally unaware of

 


4.Hopefully(adv) = In a hopeful manner ; it is to be hoped that;

 with hope.

Hopefully is often used at the start of  a sentence to express what we would like to happen.It is also used when mentioning something that you hope and are fairly confident that it will happen.

a.Hopefully it won’t rain.

b.Hopefully,they would arrive before dark.

c.The volunteers searched hopefully for the lost child.

d.Hopefully the weather will be fine next week.



5.Obviously(adv)=clearly; in a way that is easily perceived or

 understood.

a.He is obviously unwell.

b.She is obviously very upset.

c.The answer is obviously wrong.

d.Obviously,he is lying.



6.Suddenly(adv)= quickly and unexpectedly.

a.I was suddenly very nervous.

b.She died suddenly of a heart attack.

c.Suddenly the lights went out.

d.It happened suddenly.



7.Anyway(adv)=In any case; without regard to other

 considerations.

Use anyway to contrast reasons or situations that have already been mentioned.It is usually used in end position.

a.She knew it was dangerous,but she did it anyway.

b.Whether you like it or not,I’m going anyway.

c.It is not raining  now but I will bring an umbrella anyway (It might rain later but it is not raining now).

d.She has no chance of winning the competition,but she is going to enter it anyway.

e.We will go anyway.



8.Deliberately(adv)=Consciously and intentionally; On purpose.

a.The fire was started deliberately.

b.The paintwork has been deliberately scratched.

c.She did it deliberately to annoy me.

d.He did it deliberately.



9.Unfortunately(adv)=Unluckily;  Used to say that something is

 sad,disappointing or has a bad effect.

a.Unfortunately it rained all day.

b.Unfortunately,I missed the bus again.

c.Unfortunately,the marriage ended in divorce.

d.Unfortunately,he did not get the job.

e.Unfortunately,he failed.



10.Fortunately(adv)=Happening because of good luck ; Luckily.

Fortunately is used to introduce a statement about an event or situation that is good.

a.Fortunately,we got home before it started to rain.

b. Fortunately,the ball just missed the window.

c. Fortunately no one was hurt in the accident.

d.Fortunately,he passed.



11.Briefly(adv)=For a short time.

a.We chatted briefly about the weather.

b.He appears briefly in the James Bond film.

c.She was briefly married for 2 months before the divorce.

d.They visited him briefly.

e.Tell me briefly what your story is about.

f.They said briefly.



12.Everywhere(adv)=In (or) to all places.

a.She has looked everywhere for her keys.

b.You find fast food stores everywhere.

c.Crows are common birds and are seen everywhere in Asia.

d.We searched everywhere.



13.Usually(adv)=Most often; Normally ; Generally.

a.Is your sister usually so rude?

b.The weather is usually very hot in summer.

c.She usually cooks her own meals.

d.The 7 p.m bus is usually very crowded.

e.She is usually home by this time.

f.Usually,I go to the office at 7 a.m.



14.Greatly(adv)=Very much ; By a considerable amount.

Greatly is often used before a verb or participle.

a.I admire him greatly.

b.Your help and support would be greatly appreciated.

c.His health improved greatly.

d.I have benefitted greatly from the Paleo diet.

e.The local residents have been affected greatly by the pollution from the factory.

f.I am greatly impressed.

COLLOCATES OF GREATLY :

GREATLY improved

GREATLY increased /reduced

 Influence GREATLY

Profited /Benefitted GREATLY

Affect  GREATLY

Matter GREATLY

Value GREATLY

Increase GREATLY



15.Basically(adv)=Main or most important characteristic feature

 of someone or something.

Basically is used for mentioning most important aspect or used for emphasizing most important point.

a.Basically,they are simple people.

b.It’s basically a vegan diet.

c.Basically,their goal is to promote healthier eating habits.

d.The film is basically a love story.

e.She’s basically a good kid.

f.He is basically a nice man.



16.Initially(adv)=At first; At the beginning.

Initially is used to describe an action that happened first.
a.  Initially,the symptoms are mild.
b.     Initially she worked for us as a secretary.
c.  Initially,the system worked well.
d. He was Initially reluctant to join the competition.
e.   Students were initially sceptical about the idea.
f.     The Ban was initially opposed by the Russia.

g. Initially,I was shocked.

 


17.Gently(adv)=In a mild,kind or tender manner;

Gently= Calmly ; Kindly ;Softly.

a.She lifted the baby gently out of its crib.

b.Gently pat your skin dry.

c.She gently broke the news to her husband.

d.Do it gently.

COLLOCATES with Gently;

To smile / laugh /blow gently

Mix / Stir / Knead gently

Rub gently

Press gently

Wave gently

 


18.Roughly(adv)=In a manner lacking gentleness ; harshly ;

 Violently.

a.He pushed the children roughly to one side.

b.She pushed the luggage roughly.

c.The prisoners were treated roughly.

d.He threw the package roughly in the van.

e.The guard told us roughly that we had to stand back.

f.He grabbed her roughly by the shoulder.

g.He drives roughly.



19.Perfectly(adv)= Extremely well ; In a perfect or faultless way.

Perfectly is used to emphasize an adjective or adverb.

a.Canned chickpeas are cooked perfectly in the pressure pan.

b.They are a perfectly matched couple.

c.The kids behaved perfectly throughtout the party.

d.She is perfectly suited to the role.

e.The TV works perfectly now.

f.This dress fits perfectly.

g.The ring fitted perfectly.

h.I am perfectly fine.

COLLOCATES with perfectly;

Perfectly functional / serviceable

Perfectly seasoned

Perfectly smooth /spherical /round

Perfectly safe / sane

Understand perfectly

Dress / suit perfectly

Time  perfectly



20.Truly(adv)=In a truthful way ;genuinely ; really ;to the fullest

 degree;emphasizing truth.

Truly is used to emphasize that what you are saying is true.

a.She speaks truly.

b.The management does not truly understand about the residents.

c.She was truly a great singer.

d.This is a truly remarkable achievement.

e.It was a truly terrifying experience.

f.He was a truly marvellous storyteller.

g.Truly,she is fair.

h.He was a truly dedicated physician.

i.I am truly(really) sorry.

j.He truly loved his children.

k.It is a truly awful book.

l.A truly scary movie is terrifying.

m.It is truly amazing.



21.Hardly(adv)=scarcely ; Almost NOT ;Almost NO;Almost

 NONE.

Hardly is used to qualify a statement by saying that it is true to an insignificant degree.It is used to emphasize a minimal amount or minimal degree.

a.I could hardly hear her.

b.I can hardly breathe because of the smoke.

c.She hardly watches any television,apart from news.

d.I hardly knew her.

e.We hardly know each other.

f.She hardly ate anything.

g.She will hardly speak truth.

h.I hardly knew my father as my parents divorced when I was four.

i.He hardly knew how it tasted.

j.At that time,she hardly spoke any French.

k.He hardly goes there.



22.Clearly(adv)=In a clear manner;In a way that is easy to

 see,hear or understand.

Clearly=With clarity;Certainly;Obviously;Without a doubt.

a.The accident was clearly the truck driver’s fault.

b. The garden was clearly visible from my bedroom window.

c.Please write clearly.

d.She never clearly saw his face.

e.Speak clearly.

 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADVANCED NOUNS VOCABULARY WORD LIST#2