COLLOCATIONS AND EXPRESSIONS WITH THE WORD "DO"


We use the word "DO" for duties,routine and repetitive tasks,general activities,individual sports.

"DO"  is also used with "something","nothing","everything" and "anything".


DO A COURSE

She did a course in Journalism.

She is doing a one-year music course.

He is doing a French course.

Jim did engineering at BBW University.

What did you do at University?

I did sociology.


DO BUSINESS

How is the business doing? 

Many small businesses are doing badly as the economy is bad due to Covid 19.

My business is doing great.

Our company does a lot of business with overseas customers.x


DO A DEAL  (agreement or arrangement,especially in a business)

Business deal is a particular instance of Buying or Selling.

America will have to do a deal with India on wheat imports.

The Walt Disney company has done a mammoth business deal with Sony company.

I will do a deal with you-you wash the car and I will do the chores.


DO A REPORT(on something)

She is doing a report on political affairs.


 DO AN EXPERIMENT

Scientists are doing experiments to test the effectiveness of the new drug.


DO RESEARCH

Scientists are doing some interesting research in alternative energy resources.

Please do some research before you start a business.


 DO MATHS /SUMS / CALCULATIONS

He likes doing Maths.

He does sums quickly .

She does complex calculations in a short time.


DO  THE CROSSWORD / PUZZLE

She loves doing the crossword.

I find doing crosswords relaxing

I like doing crosswords.


DO THE DISHES

Has she done the dishes?


DO THE WASHING UP

I have done the washing up.


Do the ironing /  laundry  /cooking   /shopping /cleaning    /housework   /  chores  / Garden work

Dad always did the cooking on Sundays.

My mom usually does the chores at home.

There's loads of washing to be done.

We will be doing Diwali shopping this Sunday.

He  dislikes doing the garden work.

I am going to do some work in the garden tomorrow.


DO SOMETHING/NOTHING /ANYTHING/EVERYTHING

She needs to start making dinner but she can't do anything until the  electricity supply comes.

If you are not doing anything this weekend,we shall plan a trip .I'm doing nothing this weekend,I would love to join you on the trip.

She is mad at me,I didn't do anything.

Have you done something to the living room?It looks different.

Government is doing everything it can to provide vaccines to the people.

I will do anything for you.

A mother does everything for her children.


DO one's  DUTY

She did her duty well.


DO WELL  /  BETTER   /   BADLY

I studied but still did badly on the test.

He did well at school and went to Oxford University.

she's doing all right

She's doing really well.

The children are doing fine.

How are you doing today?

The team is doing badly and seems to lose the match.


DO one's  BEST

She did her Absolute Best in her exams.

He did his best to win the race.


DO a GOOD/ WONDERFUL /BAD/TERRIBLE/ JOB (to do something well or poorly)

He did a great job tidying his bedroom.

Jack has done a fantastic job of decorating the room.

The plumber did a good job of fixing the leak in the pipeline.

She did a wonderful job on the publicity.

He did a terrible job.

She did a good/wonderful  job .

Please paint carefully.If you do a bad job,you will be fired.


DO A PLAY(to perform an entertainment such as play,film etc)

The children are doing a play at school.

She has done a small role in the film.

We are doing a play for the Annual Day Function at school.


DO drugs( =Take drugs)

He is doing drugs.

He does not smoke or do drugs.

She does cocaine.


DO HOMEWORK

You can't watch TV until you've done your homework.

She is busy doing her homework.


DO someone's HAIR /MAKE-UP/ NAILS

All the hair and make-up is done by Lakme Salon.

I am going to get my hair done for the party.

Lucy is doing my make-up for the function.

I had my hair and make-up done by  professionals.

I  don't have the time to do my nails.


DO some READING /WRITING /ACTING

Do some,a little,etc.acting/writing.

She did a lot of acting when she was at college.

I  do a lot of reading/writing/acting  in my free time.


DO a DRAWING / PAINTING /WATER COLOR

I will do some painting this afternoon.

These paintings are done by a famous Italian artist.

He did several landscape drawings.

The kids did a beautiful  drawing of flowers on the wall.

Jim did a lovely painting of the mountain.



DO a JOB

She is doing a full-time job.

I could never do his job.

He does a few odd jobs around the house/garden.


DO THE RIGHT THING


DO SOMEONE A FAVOUR

Hi Jim,Can you do me a favour?I want to move this furniture.Can you help me?

Do me a favour.Hold my bag for a while.


DO some ACTIVITY

We did a lot of hiking and mountain-climbimg when we were in California.

DO THE GARDENING

DO  THE PAPERWORK

DO THE DRIVING

DO EXERCISE

DO AEROBICS

DO YOGA 

DO BOXING

DO KARATE


DO HARM

The recession did a lot of harm financially and many companies went bankrupt.

DO DAMAGE

The cyclone did a lot of damage .






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADVANCED NOUNS VOCABULARY WORD LIST#2